The use of digital media by women using the maternity services in a developed country.
Consumer Health Information
Delivery of Health Care
Maternal Health Services
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe use of digital media by women using the maternity services in a developed country., 107 (10):313-5 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe provision of high quality healthcare information about pregnancy is important to women and to healthcare professionals and it is 1 driven, in part, by a desire to improve clinical outcomes,. The objective of this study was to examine the use of digital media by women' to access pregnancy information. A questionnaire was distributed to women attending a large maternity hospital. Of the 522 respondents, the mean age was 31.8 years, 45% (235/522) were nulliparous, 62% (324/522) lived in the capital city and 29% (150/522) attended the hospital as private patients. Overall 95% (498/522) used the internet for pregnancy information, 76% (399/522) had a smartphone and 59% (235/399) of smartphone owners had used a pregnancy smartapp. The nature of internet usage for pregnancy information included discussion forums (70%), social networks (67%), video media (48%), e-books (15%), blogs (13%), microblogs (9%) and podcasts (4%). Even women who were socially disadvantaged reported high levels of digital media usage. In contemporary maternity care women use digital media extensively for pregnancy information. All maternity services should have a digital media strategy.
- The use and value of digital media for information about pregnancy and early motherhood: a focus group study.
- Authors: Lupton D
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 19
- An emerging model of maternity care: smartphone, midwife, doctor?
- Authors: Tripp N, Hainey K, Liu A, Poulton A, Peek M, Kim J, Nanan R
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Preferred health resources and use of social media to obtain health and depression information by adolescent mothers.
- Authors: Logsdon MC, Bennett G, Crutzen R, Martin L, Eckert D, Robertson A, Myers J, Tomasulo R, Gregg J, Barone M, Lynch T, Flamini L
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Pregnancy e-health: a multicenter Italian cross-sectional study on Internet use and decision-making among pregnant women.
- Authors: Bert F, Gualano MR, Brusaferro S, De Vito E, de Waure C, La Torre G, Manzoli L, Messina G, Todros T, Torregrossa MV, Siliquini R
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 1
- Digital technology use among disadvantaged Australians: implications for equitable consumer participation in digitally-mediated communication and information exchange with health services.
- Authors: Newman L, Biedrzycki K, Baum F
- Issue date: 2012 May