Positive lifestyle changes around the time of pregnancy: a cross-sectional study.
AuthorsO'Keeffe, Linda M
Dahly, Darren L
Greene, Richard A
Harrington, Janas M
Kearney, Patricia M
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPositive lifestyle changes around the time of pregnancy: a cross-sectional study. 2016, 6 (5):e010233 BMJ Open
AbstractTo examine the prevalence of positive lifestyle behaviours before and during pregnancy in Ireland.
Population-based study in Ireland.
A total of 718 women of predominantly Caucasian origin from the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS), Ireland, were included.
Positive lifestyle behaviour changes before and during pregnancy in Ireland on alcohol consumption, smoking, folate use and nutrition.
Of 1212 women surveyed, 718 (59%) responded. 26% were adherent to all three recommendations on alcohol consumption, smoking and folate use before pregnancy. This increased to 39% for the same three behaviours during pregnancy, with greater increases in adherence observed among women with the lowest adherence before pregnancy. Age, education and ethnicity gaps in adherence before pregnancy appeared to narrow during pregnancy. Adherence to all seven food pyramid guidelines was less than 1% overall, and less than 1% of participants met all four micronutrient guidelines on vitamin D, folate, calcium and iron intake around the time of pregnancy.
Low levels of healthy lifestyle behaviours before pregnancy and low levels of positive lifestyle behaviours during pregnancy demonstrate an urgent need for increased clinical and public health efforts to target deleterious health behaviours before, during and after pregnancy.
SponsorsTo examine the prevalence of positive lifestyle behaviours before and during pregnancy in Ireland.
- The maternal health behaviours of non-Irish nationals during pregnancy and the effect of time living in Ireland.
- Authors: Palmer R, Layte R, Kearney J
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Lifestyle and dietary habits of an obese pregnant cohort.
- Authors: Lindsay KL, Heneghan C, McNulty B, Brennan L, McAuliffe FM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Surveillance during pregnancy: methods and response rates from a hospital based pilot study of the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System in Ireland.
- Authors: O'Keeffe LM, Kearney PM, Greene RA
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 25
- Maternal health behaviours during pregnancy in an Irish obstetric population and their associations with socio-demographic and infant characteristics.
- Authors: Tarrant RC, Younger KM, Sheridan-Pereira M, Kearney JM
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Prevalence and predictors of alcohol use during pregnancy: findings from international multicentre cohort studies.
- Authors: O'Keeffe LM, Kearney PM, McCarthy FP, Khashan AS, Greene RA, North RA, Poston L, McCowan LM, Baker PN, Dekker GA, Walker JJ, Taylor R, Kenny LC
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 6