Intensive Care Units
Reproducibility of Results
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA user's guide to intra-abdominal pressure measurement. 2015, 47 (3):241-51 Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther
PublisherAnaesthesiology intensive therapy
JournalAnaesthesiology intensive therapy
AbstractThe intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) measurement is a key to diagnosing and managing critically ill medical and surgical patients. There are an increasing number of techniques that allow us to measure the IAP at the bedside. This paper reviews these techniques. IAP should be measured at end-expiration, with the patient in the supine position and ensuring that there is no abdominal muscle activity. The intravesicular IAP measurement is convenient and considered the gold standard. The level where the mid-axillary line crosses the iliac crest is the recommended zero reference for the transvesicular IAP measurement; moreover, marking this level on the patient increases reproducibility. Protocols for IAP measurement should be developed for each ICU based on the locally available tools and equipment. IAP measurement techniques are safe, reproducible and accurate and do not increase the risk of urinary tract infection. Continuous IAP measurement may offer benefits in specific situations in the future. In conclusion, the IAP measurement is a reliable and essential adjunct to the management of patients at risk of intra-abdominal hypertension.
- The evaluation of the effect of body positioning on intra-abdominal pressure measurement and the effect of intra-abdominal pressure at different body positioning on organ function and prognosis in critically ill patients.
- Authors: Yi M, Leng Y, Bai Y, Yao G, Zhu X
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Intestinal fatty acid binding protein as a marker for intra-abdominal pressure-related complications in patients admitted to the intensive care unit; study protocol for a prospective cohort study (I-Fabulous study).
- Authors: Strang SG, Van Waes OJ, Van der Hoven B, Ali S, Verhofstad MH, Pickkers P, Van Lieshout EM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 16
- [Effects of different reference point on intra-abdominal pressure measurement in critically ill patients: a clinical trial].
- Authors: Liu T, Liu SQ, Liu L, Yang CS, Yang -, Qiu HB
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 1
- The impact of body position on intra-abdominal pressure measurement: a multicenter analysis.
- Authors: Cheatham ML, De Waele JJ, De Laet I, De Keulenaer B, Widder S, Kirkpatrick AW, Cresswell AB, Malbrain M, Bodnar Z, Mejia-Mantilla JH, Reis R, Parr M, Schulze R, Puig S, World Society of the Abdominal Compartment Syndrome (WSACS) Clinical Trials Working Group.
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Intra-abdominal measurement techniques: is there anything new?
- Authors: De Keulenaer BL, Regli A, Malbrain ML
- Issue date: 2011 Jul