Lacking evidence for the association between frequent urine drug screening and health outcomes of persons on opioid agonist therapy.
Priest, Kelsey C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOpioid agonist therapy (OAT) is a first-line treatment for opioid use disorder (OUD); however, the efficacy and role of urine drug screening (UDS) in OAT has received little research attention. Prior evidence suggests that UDS frequency reflects philosophy and practice context rather than differences in patient characteristics or clinical need. Therefore, we reviewed the literature on the effect of and recommendations for the frequency of UDS on health outcomes for persons with OUD who receive OAT. We searched Medline and EMBASE for articles published from 1995-2017. Search results underwent double, independent review with discrepancies resolved through discussion with a third reviewer, when necessary. Additional articles were identified through snowball searching, hand searching (Google Scholar), and expert consultation. The Cochrane tool was used to assess risk of bias. Of the 60 potentially eligible articles reviewed, only one three-arm randomized open-label trial, comparing weekly and monthly UDS testing with take-home OAT doses, met our inclusion criteria. Our review identified an urgent gap in research evidence underpinning an area of clinical importance and that is routinely reported by patients as an area of concern.
Item TypeSystematic Review
- Optimum methadone compliance testing: an evidence-based analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat.
- Issue date: 2006
- Suboxone Treatment and Recovery Trial (STAR-T): Study Protocol for a Randomised Controlled Trial of Opioid Medication Assisted Treatment with Adjunctive Medication Management Using Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Contingency Management.
- Authors: Elarabi H, Elrasheed A, Ali A, Shawky M, Hasan N, Gawad TA, Adem A, Marsden J
- Issue date: 2019
- Large Variation in Provincial Guidelines for Urine Drug Screening during Opioid Agonist Treatment in Canada.
- Authors: Moss E, McEachern J, Adye-White L, Priest KC, Gorfinkel L, Wood E, Cullen W, Klimas J
- Issue date: 2018 Jun