A Technological Review of Wearable Cueing Devices Addressing Freezing of Gait in Parkinson's Disease.
Quinlan, Leo R
Freezing of Gait
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSensors (Basel, Switzerland)
AbstractFreezing of gait is one of the most debilitating symptoms of Parkinson's disease and is an important contributor to falls, leading to it being a major cause of hospitalization and nursing home admissions. When the management of freezing episodes cannot be achieved through medication or surgery, non-pharmacological methods such as cueing have received attention in recent years. Novel cueing systems were developed over the last decade and have been evaluated predominantly in laboratory settings. However, to provide benefit to people with Parkinson's and improve their quality of life, these systems must have the potential to be used at home as a self-administer intervention. This paper aims to provide a technological review of the literature related to wearable cueing systems and it focuses on current auditory, visual and somatosensory cueing systems, which may provide a suitable intervention for use in home-based environments. The paper describes the technical operation and effectiveness of the different cueing systems in overcoming freezing of gait. The "What Works Clearinghouse (WWC)" tool was used to assess the quality of each study described. The paper findings should prove instructive for further researchers looking to enhance the effectiveness of future cueing systems.
- Double-Tap Interaction as an Actuation Mechanism for On-Demand Cueing in Parkinson's Disease.
- Authors: Sweeney D, Quinlan LR, Richardson M, Meskell P, ÓLaighin G
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 26
- Effect of three cueing devices for people with Parkinson's disease with gait initiation difficulties.
- Authors: McCandless PJ, Evans BJ, Janssen J, Selfe J, Churchill A, Richards J
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Cueing Paradigms to Improve Gait and Posture in Parkinson's Disease: A Narrative Review.
- Authors: Muthukrishnan N, Abbas JJ, Shill HA, Krishnamurthi N
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 11
- Cueing for people with Parkinson's disease with freezing of gait: A narrative review of the state-of-the-art and novel perspectives.
- Authors: Ginis P, Nackaerts E, Nieuwboer A, Heremans E
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- A randomised controlled trial evaluating the effect of an individual auditory cueing device on freezing and gait speed in people with Parkinson's disease.
- Authors: Ledger S, Galvin R, Lynch D, Stokes EK
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 11