Perinatal factors affect the gut microbiota up to four years after birth.
Hill, Cian J
Dempsey, Eugene M
O'Toole, Paul W
Ross, R Paul
Ryan, C Anthony
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPerinatal factors impact gut microbiota development in early life, however, little is known on the effects of these factors on microbes in later life. Here we sequence DNA from faecal samples of children over the first four years and reveal a perpetual evolution of the gut microbiota during this period. The significant impact of gestational age at birth and delivery mode on gut microbiota progression is evident in the first four years of life, while no measurable effects of antibiotics are found in the first year. Microbiota profiles are also characteristic in children dependant on gestational age and maturity. Full term delivery is characterised by Bacteroides (year one), Parabacteroides (year two) and Christensenellaceae (year four). Preterm delivery is characterised by Lactobacillus (year one), Streptococcus (year two) and Carnobacterium (year four). This study reveals that the gut retains distinct microbial profiles of perinatal factors up to four years of age.
- Pre-pregnancy weight, gestational weight gain, and the gut microbiota of mothers and their infants.
- Authors: Stanislawski MA, Dabelea D, Wagner BD, Sontag MK, Lozupone CA, Eggesbø M
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 4
- Perinatal Antibiotic Exposure Affects the Transmission between Maternal and Neonatal Microbiota and Is Associated with Early-Onset Sepsis.
- Authors: Zhou P, Zhou Y, Liu B, Jin Z, Zhuang X, Dai W, Yang Z, Feng X, Zhou Q, Liu Y, Xu X, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 19
- Evolution of gut microbiota composition from birth to 24 weeks in the INFANTMET Cohort.
- Authors: Hill CJ, Lynch DB, Murphy K, Ulaszewska M, Jeffery IB, O'Shea CA, Watkins C, Dempsey E, Mattivi F, Tuohy K, Ross RP, Ryan CA, O' Toole PW, Stanton C
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 17
- Impact of maternal intrapartum antibiotics, method of birth and breastfeeding on gut microbiota during the first year of life: a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Azad MB, Konya T, Persaud RR, Guttman DS, Chari RS, Field CJ, Sears MR, Mandhane PJ, Turvey SE, Subbarao P, Becker AB, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj AL, CHILD Study Investigators.
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Long Term Development of Gut Microbiota Composition in Atopic Children: Impact of Probiotics.
- Authors: Rutten NB, Gorissen DM, Eck A, Niers LE, Vlieger AM, Besseling-van der Vaart I, Budding AE, Savelkoul PH, van der Ent CK, Rijkers GT
- Issue date: 2015