Down syndrome and oral health: mothers' perception on their children's oral health and its impact.
QUALITY OF LIFE
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of patient-reported outcomes
AbstractBackground: Individuals with Down syndrome exhibit particular oro-facial characteristics that may increase their risk of oral health problems. However, there is little research on the oral health of children and adults with Down syndrome and the way that oral health may affect Quality of Life (QoL). This study explored mothers' perceptions of the oral health problems experienced by their children with Down syndrome and how these reported problems impacted the lives of the children and their families. Methods: The study involved 20 in-depth, semi-structured interviews with mothers of children and adolescents aged 12-18 years with Down syndrome attending special care centres in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Results: The predominant oral-health related problem reported by mothers was difficulty in speaking. Mothers also reported that tooth decay and toothache were problems that had undesirable effects on different aspects of their children's QoL including: performing daily activities, emotional wellbeing, and social relationships. Poor oral health and functional problems had direct and indirect impacts on the family's QoL as well. Conclusion: Mothers perceived an array of QoL impacts from oral conditions, which affected their child with Down syndrome and the wider family.
- Factors affecting participation in physical activities in Saudi children with Down syndrome: mothers' perspectives.
- Authors: Alwhaibi RM, Aldugahishem HM
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Mothers' perceptions concerning oral health of children and adolescents with Down syndrome: a qualitative approach.
- Authors: Oliveira AC, Pordeus IA, Luz CL, Paiva SM
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Family pediatrics: report of the Task Force on the Family.
- Authors: Schor EL, American Academy of Pediatrics Task Force on the Family.
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Child/Adolescent's ADHD and Parenting Stress: The Mediating Role of Family Impact and Conduct Problems.
- Authors: Muñoz-Silva A, Lago-Urbano R, Sanchez-Garcia M, Carmona-Márquez J
- Issue date: 2017
- Influence of mothers' oral health knowledge and attitudes on their children's dental health.
- Authors: Saied-Moallemi Z, Virtanen JI, Ghofranipour F, Murtomaa H
- Issue date: 2008 Jun