Irritant contact dermatitis in healthcare workers as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic: a cross-sectional study.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
MetadataShow full item record
JournalClinical and experimental dermatology
AbstractCOVID-19 healthcare workers (HCWs) require frequent handwashing and use of personal protective equipment (PPE) to prevent infection. However, evidence is emerging that these practices are causing adverse effects on their skin integrity. A single-centre, cross-sectional study of HCWs from an Irish hospital was undertaken to evaluate the degree of COVID-19-related irritant contact dermatitis (ICD) between April and May 2020. Of 270 participants surveyed, 223 (82.6%) reported symptoms of ICD. The hands were the most commonly affected site (76.47%) and the most frequently reported symptom was dry skin (75.37%). Nearly all (268; 99.26%) HCWs had increased hand-washing frequency, but 122 (45.35%) did not use emollients. In the ICD group, 24.7% cited a history of dermatitis compared with 4.3% of unaffected staff (P < 0.001). The ICD group recorded PPE usage for an average of 3.15 h compared with the non-ICD group at 1.97 h (P = 0.21). Promoting awareness of COVID-19-related ICD is vital to highlight prevention and treatment for frontline staff.
- Onset of occupational hand eczema among healthcare workers during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic: Comparing a single surgical site with a COVID-19 intensive care unit.
- Authors: Guertler A, Moellhoff N, Schenck TL, Hagen CS, Kendziora B, Giunta RE, French LE, Reinholz M
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Cutaneous adverse effects due to personal protective measures during COVID-19 pandemic: a study of 101 patients.
- Authors: Mushtaq S, Terzi E, Recalcati S, Salas-Alanis JC, Amin S, Faizi N
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Contact Dermatitis from Hand Hygiene Practices in the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Tan SW, Oh CC
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Occupational dermatoses among front-line health care workers during the COVID-19 pandemic: A cross-sectional survey.
- Authors: Trepanowski N, Larson AR, Evers-Meltzer R
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Occupational skin disease among Australian healthcare workers: a retrospective analysis from an occupational dermatology clinic, 1993-2014.
- Authors: Higgins CL, Palmer AM, Cahill JL, Nixon RL
- Issue date: 2016 Oct