Managing clinical trials during COVID-19: experience from a clinical research facility
Eustace, Joseph A.
AffiliationMercy University Hospital, Grenville Place, Cork, Ireland
MetadataShow full item record
CitationShiely, F., Foley, J., Stone, A. et al. Managing clinical trials during COVID-19: experience from a clinical research facility. Trials 22, 62 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-020-05004-8
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd
AbstractThere is a dearth of literature on best practices for managing clinical trials, and little is understood on the role of the clinical trial manager. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought this into focus, and the continuance of clinical trials worldwide has been catapulted into a state of uncertainty as countries enter lockdown to manage the spread of the virus. Participant retention is an ongoing issue in clinical trials, and the concern is that in the current pandemic environment, attrition will be an issue which could potentially jeopardise trial completion. The current situation has necessitated timely problem solving by the trial manager to ensure trials remain open, and most importantly, that participant safety, paramount in clinical trials, is monitored. The purpose of our study is to highlight key issues arising in the management of clinical trials during a pandemic from first-hand experience in a clinical research facility managing both academic and commercial clinical trials. We offer some practical guidance on solution implementation.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- The Impact of COVID-19 on the Conduct of Clinical Trials for Medical Products in Korea.
- Authors: Jeon J, Kim H, Yu KS
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 14
- Adapting to a Pandemic - Conducting Oncology Trials during the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic.
- Authors: Tan AC, Ashley DM, Khasraw M
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 1
- [An example of Clinical Investigations Center reorganization during the COVID-19 pandemic French national lockdown].
- Authors: Ghrieb Z, Allaoua S, Huang J, Langner N, François F, Maréchal C, Jebali M, Lebbé C, Chellah A, Bergeron A, Kiladjian JJ, Daltro De Oliveira R, Soret-Dulphy J, Benajiba L
- Issue date: 2021 Jul-Aug
- It is unprecedented: trial management during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
- Authors: Mitchell EJ, Ahmed K, Breeman S, Cotton S, Constable L, Ferry G, Goodman K, Hickey H, Meakin G, Mironov K, Quann N, Wakefield N, McDonald A
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 11
- Managing Clinical Trials for Alzheimer's Disease During the COVID-19 Crisis: Experience at Fundació ACE in Barcelona, Spain.
- Authors: Abdelnour C, Esteban de Antonio E, Pérez-Cordón A, Lafuente A, Buendía M, Pancho A, Jofresa S, Aguilera N, Ibarria M, Cuevas R, Cañada L, Calvet A, Diego S, González-Pérez A, Orellana A, Montrreal L, de Jorge L, Marquié M, Benaque A, Gurruchaga M, Tárraga L, Ruiz A, Boada M, Research Center and Memory Clinic, Fundació ACE
- Issue date: 2020