Prevalence of admission plasma glucose in 'diabetes' or 'at risk' ranges in hospital emergencies with no prior diagnosis of diabetes by gender, age and ethnicity.
Manley, Susan E
Nightingale, Peter G
Williams, John A
Stratton, Irene M
Gkoutos, Georgios V
Luzio, Stephen D
Roberts, Graham A
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEndocrinology, diabetes & metabolism
AbstractThree quarters (14 214) were White Europeans aged 62 (43-78) years, median (IQ range); 12% (2241) South Asians 46 (32-64) years; 9% (1726) Unknown/Other ethnicities 43 (29-61) years; and 4% (784) Afro-Caribbeans 49 (33-63) years, P < .001. Overall, 5% (1003) had glucose in the 'diabetes' range (≥11.1 mmol/L) higher at 8% (175) for South Asians; 16% (3042) were 'at risk' (7.8-11.0 mmol/L), that is 17% (2379) White Europeans, 15% (338) South Asians, 14% (236) Unknown/Others and 11% (89) Afro-Caribbeans, P < .001. The prevalence for South Asians aged <30 years was 2.1% and 5.2%, respectively, 2.6% and 8.6% for Afro-Caribbeans <30 years, and 2.0% and 8.4% for White Europeans <40 years. Glucose increased with age and was more often in the 'diabetes' range for South Asians than White Europeans with South Asian men particularly affected. One third of all emergency admissions were for <24 hours with 58% of these having glucose measured compared to 82% with duration >24 hours.
- The relationship between metabolic risk factors and incident cardiovascular disease in Europeans, South Asians, and African Caribbeans: SABRE (Southall and Brent Revisited) -- a prospective population-based study.
- Authors: Tillin T, Hughes AD, Mayet J, Whincup P, Sattar N, Forouhi NG, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 30
- Adverse effect of diabetes and hyperglycaemia on arterial stiffness in Europeans, South Asians, and African Caribbeans in the SABRE study.
- Authors: Park CM, Tillin T, March K, Jones S, Whincup PH, Mayet J, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Psychiatric morbidity and compulsory admission among UK-born Europeans, Afro-Caribbeans and Asians in central Manchester.
- Authors: Thomas CS, Stone K, Osborn M, Thomas PF, Fisher M
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Relationship of glucose intolerance to coronary risk in Afro-Caribbeans compared with Europeans.
- Authors: Chaturvedi N, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Stress hyperglycaemia in hospitalised patients and their 3-year risk of diabetes: a Scottish retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: McAllister DA, Hughes KA, Lone N, Mills NL, Sattar N, McKnight J, Wild SH
- Issue date: 2014 Aug