Diagnostic Accuracy of Prion Disease Biomarkers in Iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.
Collins, Steven J
Kovacs, Gabor G
KeywordsIatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
dura matter graft
magnetic resonance imaging
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman prion diseases are classified into sporadic, genetic, and acquired forms. Within this last group, iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (iCJD) is caused by human-to-human transmission through surgical and medical procedures. After reaching an incidence peak in the 1990s, it is believed that the iCJD historical period is probably coming to an end, thanks to lessons learnt from past infection sources that promoted new prion prevention and decontamination protocols. At this point, we sought to characterise the biomarker profile of iCJD and compare it to that of sporadic CJD (sCJD) for determining the value of available diagnostic tools in promptly recognising iCJD cases. To that end, we collected 23 iCJD samples from seven national CJD surveillance centres and analysed the electroencephalogram and neuroimaging data together with a panel of seven CSF biomarkers: 14-3-3, total tau, phosphorylated/total tau ratio, alpha-synuclein, neurofilament light, YKL-40, and real-time quaking induced conversion of prion protein. Using the cut-off values established for sCJD, we found the sensitivities of these biomarkers for iCJD to be similar to those described for sCJD. Given the limited relevant information on this issue to date, the present study validates the use of current sCJD biomarkers for the diagnosis of future iCJD cases.
- Human prion diseases: surgical lessons learned from iatrogenic prion transmission.
- Authors: Bonda DJ, Manjila S, Mehndiratta P, Khan F, Miller BR, Onwuzulike K, Puoti G, Cohen ML, Schonberger LB, Cali I
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Prion-specific and surrogate CSF biomarkers in Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: diagnostic accuracy in relation to molecular subtypes and analysis of neuropathological correlates of p-tau and Aβ42 levels.
- Authors: Lattanzio F, Abu-Rumeileh S, Franceschini A, Kai H, Amore G, Poggiolini I, Rossi M, Baiardi S, McGuire L, Ladogana A, Pocchiari M, Green A, Capellari S, Parchi P
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease with Amyloid-β pathology: an international study.
- Authors: Cali I, Cohen ML, Haik S, Parchi P, Giaccone G, Collins SJ, Kofskey D, Wang H, McLean CA, Brandel JP, Privat N, Sazdovitch V, Duyckaerts C, Kitamoto T, Belay ED, Maddox RA, Tagliavini F, Pocchiari M, Leschek E, Appleby BS, Safar JG, Schonberger LB, Gambetti P
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 8
- Diagnostic value of surrogate CSF biomarkers for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the era of RT-QuIC.
- Authors: Abu-Rumeileh S, Baiardi S, Polischi B, Mammana A, Franceschini A, Green A, Capellari S, Parchi P
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Comparison between plasma and cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers for the early diagnosis and association with survival in prion disease.
- Authors: Abu-Rumeileh S, Baiardi S, Ladogana A, Zenesini C, Bartoletti-Stella A, Poleggi A, Mammana A, Polischi B, Pocchiari M, Capellari S, Parchi P
- Issue date: 2020 Nov