Ethical triage during the COVID-19 pandemic: a toolkit for neurosurgical resource allocation.
AuthorsHulsbergen, Alexander F C
Eijkholt, Marleen M
Mathiesen, Tiit I
Moojen, Wouter A
Broekman, Marike L D
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The COVID-19 pandemic confronts healthcare workers, including neurosurgeons, with difficult choices regarding which patients to treat. Methods: In order to assist ethical triage, this article gives an overview of the main considerations and ethical principles relevant when allocating resources in times of scarcity. Results: We discuss a framework employing four principles: prioritizing the worst off, maximizing benefits, treating patients equally, and promoting instrumental value. We furthermore discuss the role of age and comorbidity in triage and highlight some principles that may seem intuitive but should not form a basis for triage. Conclusions: This overview is presented on behalf of the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies and can be used as a toolkit for neurosurgeons faced with ethical dilemmas when triaging patients in times of scarcity.
- Public attitudes toward allocating scarce resources in the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Buckwalter W, Peterson A
- Issue date: 2020
- Ethical Considerations for Treating Cancer Patients During the SARS-CoV-2 Virus Crisis: To Treat or Not to Treat? A Literature Review and Perspective From a Cancer Center in Low-Middle Income Country.
- Authors: Al-Tabba' A, Al-Hussaini M, Mansour R, Sultan H, Abdel-Razeq H, Mansour A
- Issue date: 2020
- Balancing the Needs of Acute and Maintenance Dialysis Patients during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Proposed Ethical Framework for Dialysis Allocation.
- Authors: Carson RC, Forzley B, Thomas S, Preto N, Hargrove G, Virani A, Antonsen J, Brown M, Copland M, Michaud M, Singh A, Levin A
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 8
- Identifying ethical values for guiding triage decisions during the COVID-19 pandemic: an Italian ethical committee perspective using Delphi methodology.
- Authors: Zeneli A, Brandi G, Di Pasquale G, Orlandini D, De Carolis P, Bravi F, Pugliese F, Poluzzi E, Catena F, Giovanardi F, Valpiani G, Mantovani R, Magnanimi E, Iannone P
- Issue date: 2021 May 18
- The Perfect Moral Storm: Diverse Ethical Considerations in the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Xafis V, Schaefer GO, Labude MK, Zhu Y, Hsu LY
- Issue date: 2020 May 28