Assessment of the FilmArray® multiplex PCR system and associated meningitis/encephalitis panel in the diagnostic service of a tertiary hospital.
O'Connell, Nuala H
Dunne, Colum P
Improved patient outcome
MetadataShow full item record
JournalInfection prevention in practice
AbstractRapid and accurate diagnosis of meningitis/encephalitis (M/E) is essential for successful patient outcomes. The FilmArray® meningitis/encephalitis Panel (MEP) is a multiplexed PCR test for simultaneous, rapid detection of pathogens directly from cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) samples. 94 prospectively collected CSF specimens from patients with clinical suspicion of infective M/E underwent testing for 14 pathogens simultaneously, including Escherichia coli, Haemophilus influenzae, Neisseria meningitidis, and Varicella zoster. MEP demonstrated 95% agreement with current PCR methods, resulting in 16 diagnosed cases of M/E. Typically, the FilmArray® MEP results were delivered within approximately one hour, contrasting with current practices taking up to 5.6 days. Given the significant morbidity and mortality associated with delayed diagnosis of central nervous system infections, the FilmArray® MEP is a useful addition to the diagnostic capabilities of a clinical microbiology department.
- Multicenter Evaluation of BioFire FilmArray Meningitis/Encephalitis Panel for Detection of Bacteria, Viruses, and Yeast in Cerebrospinal Fluid Specimens.
- Authors: Leber AL, Everhart K, Balada-Llasat JM, Cullison J, Daly J, Holt S, Lephart P, Salimnia H, Schreckenberger PC, DesJarlais S, Reed SL, Chapin KC, LeBlanc L, Johnson JK, Soliven NL, Carroll KC, Miller JA, Dien Bard J, Mestas J, Bankowski M, Enomoto T, Hemmert AC, Bourzac KM
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Impact of a multiplex PCR assay (FilmArray®) on the management of patients with suspected central nervous system infections.
- Authors: Cailleaux M, Pilmis B, Mizrahi A, Lourtet-Hascoet J, Nguyen Van JC, Alix L, Couzigou C, Vidal B, Tattevin P, Le Monnier A
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Usefulness of the FilmArray meningitis/encephalitis (M/E) panel for the diagnosis of infectious meningitis and encephalitis in Taiwan.
- Authors: Lee SH, Chen SY, Chien JY, Lee TF, Chen JM, Hsueh PR
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- FilmArray® meningitis/encephalitis (ME) panel, a rapid molecular platform for diagnosis of CNS infections in a tertiary care hospital in North India: one-and-half-year review.
- Authors: Tarai B, Das P
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Evaluation of a Commercial Multiplex Molecular Panel for Diagnosis of Infectious Meningitis and Encephalitis.
- Authors: Liesman RM, Strasburg AP, Heitman AK, Theel ES, Patel R, Binnicker MJ
- Issue date: 2018 Apr